The WLAQ Management Committee has the option of appointing honorary members. The criteria for a person being appointed an honorary member is flexible and not dependent on any one set of terms. The recipient of a honorary membership must be female and must have significantly contributed to the advancement of women in the legal profession.
Any person in Queensland’s legal profession may make a recommendation to WLAQ’s Management Committee for consideration of a female as an honorary member.
As at 30 June 2019, the following women hold honorary membership of WLAQ:
- Beryl Donkin OBE, Queensland Law Society’s first paid employee.
- Helen O’Sullivan, former Judge of the District Court of Queensland.
- The Honourable Margaret McMurdo AC, former President of the Court of Appeal, Supreme Court of Queensland.
- Noela L’Estrange, former CEO of Queensland Law Society and WLAQ President 1988 (appointed March 2015).
- The Honourable Leneen Forde AC, former Governor General of Queensland and Founding President of WLAQ (appointed December 2015).
- The Honourable Justice Debra Mullins AO, Justice of the Queensland Court of Appeal, WLAQ Treasurer and Patron of the Una Prentice Memorial Trust Fund (appointed June 2018).
- Jennifer McVeigh, WLAQ President 1991 to 1992 (appointed June 2018).
- Veronica McCarthy, WLAQ Secretary 1978 to 2001 and WLAQ Minute Secretary 2001 to 2005 (appointed June 2018).
- The Honourable Sarah Derrington, Justice of the Federal Court of Australia and first female Dean at the TC Beirne School of Law, University of Queensland (appointed October 2018).
- The Honourable Ann Lyons, Senior Judge Administrator and Justice of the Supreme Court of Queensland and former WLAQ Woman Lawyer of the Year (appointed June 2019).
- Rebecca Treston QC, Barrister and first female President of the Bar Association of Queensland (appointed June 2019).
- The Honourable Michelle May QC AM, former Senior Judge of the Full Court of the Family Court of Australia (appointed October 2019).
- Ann-Maree David, Chief Executive, College of Law Queensland, WLAQ Vice-President and Australian Women Lawyers President (appointed June 2020).
All enquiries regarding Honorary Membership are to be made to the President by email at email@example.com.