Beryl Donkin Memorial Award
Beryl Killeen Donkin was a pioneer woman in the legal profession. She was the Queensland Law Society’s first full-time employee and continued to serve the Society for 13 years before assuming the statutory position of Secretary in 1954, a position she held for 21 years. Her commitment and service to Queensland lawyers – including by being the first female secretary of any Law Society in the Commonwealth – was honoured in 1975 when she received an OBE at Buckingham Palace.
Beryl Donkin was also a foundation and honorary member of WLAQ. In 1991, to honour this remarkable woman’s memory, WLAQ launched the Beryl Donkin Memorial Award. The Award is given annually to any Queensland resident who holds a Bachelor of Laws (or its equivalent) and can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the WLAQ Executive Committee that their professional development and advancement will be enhanced by receipt of the Award.
AWL Delegate 2018
The AWL2018 Conference is being held in Sydney from 24 to 26 August 2018. WLAQ is pleased to announce that it will be meeting the costs of one WLAQ member to attend the Conference on behalf of WLAQ.
In order to be eligible to apply, the applicant must:
- provide a response to the questions below no later than 5.00pm on Friday 20 July 2018;
- be a financial member of the WLAQ as at the time of application;
- be less than 5 years PAE as at the time of application;
- be able to fly from Brisbane to Sydney on 24 August 2018 and return to Brisbane on 26 August 2018; and
- provide a minimum 500 word article for inclusion in WLAQ’s Ducibus within two weeks of return from the Conference.
What is included
The delegate will receive return economy flights from Brisbane, attendance at the Conference and two nights’ accommodation at Sofitel Wentworth Sydney.
The delegate will be responsible for the costs of attending the Welcome Drinks, Conference Dinner, taxi costs and all other incidentals.
Please provide a one page resume and a response of no more than two pages to the following:
- What does “investing in the future” mean to you?
- What session of the AWL Conference would you find most interesting and why?
- If you could host a panel discussion on any topic, what would the topic be and who would you have as your three panellists, living or dead, and why?
All applications are to be in word or pdf format and are to be uploaded below. No email or postal entries will be received. The decision of the Executive Committee is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
The delegate will be announced by Friday, 27 July 2018.
Sorry. This form is no longer available.